Pages

Monday 20 February 2012

Growing Pains

Oh my god oh my god I can’t believe it. Finally my dreams are coming true. Oh! I hope it’s not a dream. If I pinch myself and wake up I’ll die oh I’ll die. Ow! That was a stupid move now I have a big angry mark on my arm, what kind of a fool pinches herself. Rubbing my arm furiously I scrambled off the bed where I had been lying waiting for my sisters to call me to their room. For the first time ever, two of my sisters are going to do something for me, something that I want and I only had to ask about 65 times, well I begged and cried but I won’t go into details because it’s embarrassing when I start begging and crying. Anyway usually when I beg or cry or speak or anything, they just laugh and tell me to get lost but not today, no today I saw a flicker of of, a flicker of …. I don’t know what but it was different to the usual reaction I get.

By now you know me very well, at least you should know me because I’ve told you all the secrets in my heart, well not them all but you know that I am worryingly obsessed with Dallas and everything about it. I love the clothes, the make-up, the gorgeous men (I don’t mind which of them I marry because they are all so manly, as you can see I’m a sophisticated 13 year old and I have my future decided), Dallas is vital to my very being so when two of my sisters make a remark that I look like Lucy Ewing then the world comes to a stop to allow me to balance the whirlwind that are my thoughts, start my heart again and remember how to breathe in and out.

“LUCY EWING” “OH MY GOD”!!!

The process of restarting my life only took minutes but somewhere along the line I convinced myself that I lost a week of my life, so convinced I was, that I ran to daddy and told him to tell me everything I had missed in that week. After he looked at me like I was mad he sighed and muttered something about me needing to talk to someone. I thought I was talking to him but then I had lost time so maybe I had also missed some of what he was saying. It must have been a week I lost because I feel very confused.

What’s keeping them? I suddenly realized it had been ages since they told me to wait and I began to panic. I lay back down sick with worry. They told me that they would spend the afternoon pampering me and doing my make-up to highlight my resemblance to Lucy Ewing and yet they still hadn’t called me. What if they were only making more false promises? I don’t think I can take much more. My sisters needed to realize that I’m getting very fragile and not able for any more let downs. My life is hard enough trying to make friends, trying to convince my many siblings that I’m fun to have around and trying to find new products to reduce the size of my nose. My sisters had given me so many cream products to try and none of them worked, in fact one of them felt so sorry for me that she went out and bought a special cream with no name that smelt like weed killer but she paid big money for it so I couldn’t complain about the stink of it. Now my nose is still huge and a have to figure out a way to get her money for it.

“Valerie, we’re ready for you” Gina’s voice broke into my pain and excitedly I leapt off the bed and made a dash for the door almost falling over with sheer excitement. Today was definitely the day my life would change for the better. I know I said that before but this felt different. My sisters had spent ages preparing for this and that meant so much to me. I imagined what it would be like to be bff with my sisters (bff means best friends forever) and I knew this would be the most amazing thing ever to happen ever.

I think if this happened I’d be able to come to terms with my big nose and lack of self esteem. Apparently self esteem is very important at my age because my sisters told me that without it a girl could get all kinds of problems like spots and a moustache and hairy legs. I’m already getting hairy legs so I need to become bff with them soon; time is running out for me.

When I entered my sister’s room I stopped in complete shock and lost the ability to move. Tears filled my eyes and threatened to flow over. The most amazing thing was that these were tears of joy and for a minute I didn’t care if I never looked like Lucy Ewing, only for a minute though, coz Lucy is my idol and I might never get this chance again. Composing myself I sat into the chair in front of where my sisters were waiting and stared at the amount of stuff surrounding me. All over the dresser and the bed were the very things I longed to possess, make-up, hairdryer, curling tongs, nail varnish. I thought of the way Lucy’s cheeks shimmered with blusher that matched her baby pink lipstick and I struggled to hold back the tears. Tears that signaled the beginning of my life, the start of wonderful things for me. Girls would come up to talk to me, boys would want to kiss me and hold my hand and most importantly I would be one of the gang at home.

“Close your eyes” Gina instructed “When you open them you will be better looking than us”. Oh the joy of those words. I settled into the chair and closed my eyes and sank into the thoughts of my new life. All around me there was a flutter of noise and movement as bottles were opened and a waft of different scents enveloped me. Perfume, nail varnish, all for me, only for me.



A burst of laughter pulled me out of my daydream and looking around I waited for my sisters to say something but nothing happened. They seemed to be trying to hold in the laughter that had escaped from one of them. “What’s so funny” I asked, trembling with fear knowing deep down that things had not gone well. “Nothing” Berni answered, trying her best not to fall over in hysterics, “you’re gorgeous”.

Time stood still for me as I weighed up my options. I knew they had put the make up on because I’m not totally stupid and I had felt them putting it on, but I had to decide how to handle this. Did I act normal, look in the mirror and thank them for their efforts regardless of how I look or did I just walk away and not look in the mirror in front of them. What do I do? What do I do? “You are lovely” Gina echoed, “We used the same pink that Lucy wears”. Slightly comforted by the way she spoke I stood up and prepared myself to look at my reflection.

Why oh why did I choose that option. Laughter hollered around me as the tears of joy spilled over into tears from a horror film. For I was ruined, oh through to their word they had used pink, a beautiful shade of pink but instead of using blusher, eye shadow and lipstick, they had only used nail varnish. NAIL VARNISH!!!!!

I looked like that monster “Freddie” from the scary film nightmare on Elm Street and I can tell you for free that nail varnish remover only works on nails. I had to use 4 brillo pads.



Guess that just speeds up the spots process. I may as well hide alone in a dark room and wait for the moustache to appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment