Pages

Friday 11 August 2017

Love Longford.... or leave it alone

I've spent the last few days out and about exploring and I'm never disappointed by the beauty of our countryside. .... the buildings and landmarks that hold the hearts of people, shelter them, keep them safe and warm and ask for nothing in return..... the simple floating leaf and the worn knotted trees that forever watch us coming and going. The soul within these places and plants that inhale our moods and attempt to calm us with their presence. Soul that's been there for hundreds of years and sometimes only many moments.
I live in County Longford and it's a beautiful stunning wise incredible place to live but If there's one thing that gets on my nerves it's the constant "polls" being shared online about Longford. Who are the people asking these stupid questions and who are the people answering them. Such negatively really disappoints me and I can't help wondering if they are actually true "Polls" or just crap made up by someone who probably doesn't even live in County Longford. I've lived here all my life and I've never been approached and asked what I think of Longford so whoever does these "Polls" should feel free to contact me and ask me. Or do one better and pop down to Ballymahon and I'll give you a tour of our beautiful county length and breath. I'll show you a side to County Longford that will take your breath away.
I'll introduce you to people that will touch your heart and give you memories of County Longford that will stay with you forever
OK we don't have beaches lining the edge of our county and there are areas that need a facelift and yes we have homelessness and poverty and crime and shut up businesses but doesn't every county in Ireland. Doesn't the world face the same problems that Longford face yet these so called "Polls" constantly belittle our home and our people and I'm sick of it.
I'm proud to come from County Longford. Proud to have raised my kids here... educated them here... watched them fall and get up again here so take your "Polls" and toss them into your nearest bin and go for a long walk in County Longford. Speak to the people.. hear their stories... their tragedies... their achievements. Pay attention to what they're telling you.. stories that make Longford people who they are. Strong proud people who have everyday struggles and hopes and dreams and sure as hell don't need your negative reviews of a county that has achieved so much over the years.
The beauty of this County is forgotten... ignored and trampled on. The amazing hearts and kindness of people is rarely spoken of in these so called "Polls". The families who get up everyday and make our County a better place don't have a voice and we're expected to shut up and not fight back when some random stranger decides to desecrate our home and our land.
Well I don't feel like shutting up so go away and leave our home alone. I'm tired of it being attacked by faceless people and stupid questions
Now go put that in your next "Poll".....

Valerie Masters

No comments:

Post a Comment