Pages

Sunday 20 August 2017

FAQ....Why do I love Longford #lovelongford

Why does anyone do what they do.....
Why? is my most frequently asked question....

I've been through many emotions as a writer...
I found the pen when I was six and my father whisht me while listening to John B Keane. He "Whisht"me.....
I wasn't having that so after discovering who John B Keane was I decided I'd be a writer and playwright (if I ever learn to play right believe me I'll brag about it)
Then I wrote down everything and I mean everything. I was the most annoying child ever... my poor sisters and brothers. To this day I have flashbacks about how absolutely irritating I must have been to them.
Imagine been a teenager and this skinny wannabe child was outside the door writing down everything that was ever said in private and then reading it out in front of people (parents)
Imagine that and then picture me. Yep I own that but I've never felt the need to apologise for it. Never because I'm the youngest of the best family ever. As much as they wanted to kill me for haunting them they also wanted to protect me from the world and I love them for that.
Which makes me want to stop ranting and get to the point  (I can do that... I think)
I've been a writer for so long I don't think about being a writer... I'm a poet (yes I said it). But more importantly I write my mood and my surroundings and my latest post has been written from my soul.
Longford is my home. I was raised there. I spent my childhood in Toome Ballymahon..... Carrickedmond parish. I lived there....Cried there.....lost my Willie there....never found it again. (I was six) begged my sisters to show me theirs...(they refused after they stopped laughing)
Sat at a statue of our Lady believing she was my mother... she wasn't (I was seven and thought I was adpoted) ....
Longford to me is all of the above but it's so much more. It knows me when I want to cry.. knows me when I hate that my kids are too far away to inhale... the scent of my children is the hardest point of missing them for me.
Longford....my parents sleep in you...... My sister in law sleeps in you..... I visit the ground they sleep beneath. The clay that blankets them.
Home.... that's where my heart is. That's where my family have been raised and that's the place I'll defend.
And even though death has stolen some of them I can stand on the soil that protects them and I stand there knowing they sleep in the home they lived in because Longford is home. .... A beautiful county.
We aren't living in slums.... We aren't living under the tyranny of a crazy leader....
We're Irish and Co Longford is beautifully Irish
So love it or leave it alone...
I am County Longford ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment