Pages

Tuesday 17 October 2017

The #metoo hashtag is more powerful than me

I've been asked a few times over the last couple of days how I feel about this #metoo hashtag and if I'd like to comment on it or maybe if I'd be willing to post the hashtag on my blog as a sign of solidarity for the abuse women suffer everyday at the hands of men who just don't get it.
And I'd love to post the hashtag..
I'd love to scream from the rooftops that #metoo I've been a victim... I've been hurt or harassed or abused or something that made me uncomfortable but I can't because I'm uncomfortable with the actual hashtag itself
#metoo admits you're a victim and that is powerful. We need to keep talking about abuse and harressment but dangerously this hashtag does a lot more than that. It segregates us once again... It makes us different... Make us stand out.... as women....and as much as victim abuse needs to be shouted from the rooftops, abuse doesn't have a sex....
It means we're telling our abusers that we're a victim and an abuser doesn't fucking care or we wouldn't be a victim in the first place.....
Rape is the biggest hurt... something we are willing to give in love being stolen from us is a violation I can't find words for... how do you describe the pain of helplessness... of having the one thing we give in love robbed from us as we cry silently into a bitten lip....
We as women know the cat calling.. We know the innuendo.... The staring at cleavage.... The slaps on the ass. We also know the pain of being a woman. The office crap and the paid less and the constant jokes of what a man would do to you if he had half a chance.... and oh look at the tits on you and ah fuck it sure you're covered up today.. that's no craic.....
The periods.... The moments we are so vulnerable in tears that we want chocolate and cuddles and the moments we want to pretend we don't have to deal with this. We know the worry of a missed period... The ache of a period that means we once again failed getting pregnant and the deep hurt craving a baby brings. The failure when your child cries... when they are troubled... The everyday things we can't sleep over and we can't solve whether we sleep or not.
We know how we feel at every single moment of every day.
I don't feel the need to talk about Harvey Weinstein.. I really don't. He's a fucked up prick who used power to control women... A sad individual who let his wealth and power go straight to his dick and he hurt women and left them in desperate pain and unable to speak out and he's ten a fucking penny and if he ran for president tomorrow we would be horrified.........
I don't feel the need to post the #metoo hashtag because I'm tired. ... tired of today repeating yesterday and tired of tomorrow getting ready to repeat today. So many men out there are victims too... The quiet wonderful men who just want to be loved are victims of the most crazy abuse... The sort of abuse they can't talk about. They wake up to a day they can't predict, a day that subjects them to name calling and bruises they have to hide. They work hard and protect their children and cry quietly when finally the darkness decides to fall and they're left alone to call themselves terrible names because they're alone... and they're lonely and they don't have a hashtag to fall into. These are the forgotten men... The ones who fall beneath the hashtag that hasn't been invented yet.. The hashtag that leaves a world of pain and a lifetime of silence to continue as long as that hashtag is not invented
I could do a thousand blogs on #metoo
I could stay here and make you cry with a truth that would bleed you but I won't. I can't as long as there is a hidden hashtag... One that makes every victim equal... One that joins us all on the same page....
#victimsunited

No comments:

Post a Comment