Pages

Sunday 29 December 2019

A mothers love

Its after 10pm.... so many silences are playing around in my head. The washing machine is on... purring in the background... funny the sounds that comfort.
So many silences sing softly and loudly.... Mammy doing washing in our house when I was a child was a weeks job. Ten people stripping off, no regard for where the clothes land, Mammy picking them up and the toil begins. I can see her stooping, and stopping to hold her back... a sigh maybe falls from her
A sigh that falls silent...
A bit like tonight.
Tonight Lee is behind the bar of Scholars Bar in Munich. Germany eh.. I was just about used to him being in Rome, but you never really get used to it. I still hear his key in the door... usually about 4am when the real silence kicks in, hits home then. He's far away but he's doing him, living his best life. 
And I'm so proud.
The washing machine purrs on, almost listening to my thoughts, playing a tune to match them
Tonight Lorraine is with Niall, sleeping i and dreaming I hope....and safe in China, waiting to wake up and return to teaching and moulding little lives, creating the future of little ones who not know how lucky they are to have her.
She's far away doing her, living her best life.
And Mammy is still doing the washing, tired and bent over
Sighing yet smiling, steam rising from below her and she's now above me smiling that smile, and telling me to forever listen to the silences that play in my head. Those are the voices of yesterday, of today and of tomorrow telling me that I'm the lucky one.
I have the most amazing children.
And here I am, doing me, living my best life.
A mother from an amazing mother, with amazing children who are never too far away and who carry me heart with them everywhere across the world....

Valerie Masters 

No comments:

Post a Comment