Pages

Tuesday 16 June 2020

Mother storm

The thunder and lightning yesterday brought back great memories for me. Having lost my Mam I love it when I get flashes of her and times gone by. The storm brought back funny memories. She used to run around throwing holy water on us to protect us from Satan and sure I thought it was a great chance to get bathtime sorted. There was me with my spindly legs running for the Carbolic soap and trying not to break my neck running and my mother screaming that I was going to kill myself and me running under the holy water trying to get clean. Sure you couldn't wait for actual bathtime in this house. 7 dirty fecking kids in that water before me, you'd need life insurance to get into that filthy cold water and she actually expected me to come out clean. I've come out of bog holes cleaner than coming out of that water. You'd hear my hail marys all over the house as I'd pull the scummy top back looking for the water underneath. Twas a shocking sin expecting poor me to bath there. So I improvised and waited patiently for the thunder and the holy water to appear and there I'd be waving my arms around and trying to stand up in the now soapy little puddles on the floor and me poor mother blessing herself and Bernie and Gina waving a shears sized razor at me telling me that now I can become a woman if I start shaving myself. Was I growing a beard... what was I supposed to shave but I'd grab it to impress them and hair would be flying everywhere and the hail marys would now be bless me fathes and the blood would be begging for tissues to mop it up. But we're poor and only have docket leaves to wipe our arses which I have to go outside for and now I'm outside and my mother is wailing that the lightening will strike me and the good lord will take me and my only thought is where the feck are the damn docket leaves when you need them......

No comments:

Post a Comment