Pages

Tuesday 12 December 2023

When you wish upon a star....

Dear Santa.....

It's been a while since I wrote to you and I hope you're well and unaffected by a world we both barely recognise anymore. A world that's changed forever. I cant even begin to imagine what life is like for you, trying to prepare for Christmas eve when you're not even sure who will be privileged to wake up Christmas morning under the twinkling lights of hope and promise. I'm sure every year you wear the pain of those gone but this year it must feel so needless. 
I'm smiling a little at past letters I wrote to you, innocent handwriting begging for impossible wishes like rag dolls and periods. That memory brings me a giggle. Imagining your face at a nine year old child begging you to bring her a period. I really did think I would be so grown up like my sisters if I had one. Thanks by the way for ignoring me... not sure 9 is a good age to get one of those things. I got the rag doll though, pretty sure it was a knockoff, it stank a little but much nicer than the duck with wheels you brought me the year before that. Really Santa what were you thinking when you put that under the tree.....
I should let you know I've forgiven you for not making me good looking, I'm still disappointed but I know now that you're not a miracle worker or a plastic surgeon, you are after all just Santa.......
This year though I'm really going to ask you for the impossible. This year I have a couple of wishes. One of them is to please make sure there will be no more empty chairs around the table of families gathering together. Enough loss has been endured this year already and nobody wants to lose another loved one. Nobody wants the pain of seeing an empty chair that should be filled with laughter. Please let everyone try to protect each other between now and christmas eve so we can all have full chairs and contented hearts...
Maybe give Ballymahon and its surrounding parishes a little extra love this year. We've lost so many of our loved ones here that the streets are almost constantly weeping and Christmas is looking extra lonely this time around.....

I know you always pay lorraine and lee their usual visit and leave an invisible message from us but thankfully this year you've seen to it that we can be with them to embrace them. Cant fricking wait.....

Santa there is so many empty chairs at tables this year that I'm worried about those left sitting at those tables.... Give them strength in this ravaged world of wars and floods and hurt 
Just one more wish Santa, give us strength to unite during this uncertain time, give us compassion for each other regardless of what we believe is happening and give us the chance to once again inhale our loved ones in a hug. Give us strength to remember those who raised us, the generation that taught us the values we now need to call upon to get through. I think human touch is becoming so alien to us that we are forgetting how to love each other and protect each other.

I'm afraid Santa, afraid for tomorrow and what it might bring, afraid that everyone will forget how to love each other... forget how to mind each other and I'm terrified that if we do forget we might never remember. And that Santa would be an absolute crime...
Thank you for reading my letter and I know you'll do your very best to grant me my little wishes
Give Mrs Claus and the elves my best regards and dont forget to take care of yourself while travelling through war torn countries and a tired Mother Nature....
Take care of yourself and I'll see you on Christmas eve in Germany please god

Because you coming on christmas eve gives us hope...
And we all need hope....

Valerie Masters

No comments:

Post a Comment